Sunday, April 26, 2009

Week 6 - Video

Discoveries on YouTube and Google video.
I found that the videos on YouTube and Google video in relation to showcasing oral histories, library building projects, staff orientations, guides to using library services, book reviews or exhibitions were all useful forms of providing information whether it was to library members or staff. I did find though that a lot of the videos were of poor quality. I dont think you need the best equipment but it can be frustrating for people to watch something when the faces are blurry and pixelated. This however would be the only negative I found.

I think that the videos on oral histories and library building projects were both great ways of presenting information in an interesting way rather then reading out of a book or looking at photographs. In terms of the video about the building of the library, this can be kept forever and is creating the libraries own records of its history.

In terms of staff orientation videos I think this cuts down time for staff that do training saving them from repeating themselves as well as providing staff with a friendly overview of the library. My only thoughts here is to keep these videos up to date. Having had a few jobs I have been witness to some very out of date orientation videos - their age shows! which can make the organisation look out of date as well.

Wht possibilities can you think of for your organisation?
I think the idea of displaying history in a visual way is great. My library has a history conference each year and videos could be used here not only to film some of the conference for a record for the library but present information to members of the community using online videos. These videos will then be able to be used in the future and be easily accessible by all.

I also think that patron tips videos are a great idea. Sometimes there can be confusion about who to ask for what but also people not wanting to make themselves look silly by asking a question. If some online video tutorials were made about how to use our library this might help them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment